Monday, February 16, 2009

Stuff

Well, I've been back in Canada for a month now. I've seen all my friends here, and made a trip up to Calgary to see Reed, which was good. Its been a while since I've seen him so it was good to catch up. I'm still trying to develop a productive routine, and its finally coming together a bit. I wake up at 9:00 am, go to the gym at 10:30, work on my book and read in the afternoon. The evening is split between video games, working on my book, and tv. I'm trying to phase out video games since it steals working on my book and reading time, so we'll see how that goes.

As far as my computer goes, so far so good. It's really fast and I love the big screen, but windows 7 is giving me a few problems (I know, a shocker). It freezes when my computer enters sleep mode for too long, and it sometimes freezes when I shut down the computer. It also occasionally has a problem where it can't access folders I've clicked on. Instead, I have to manually type in the address of the folder to open in the explorer bar. Other than those problems though, its all been dandy. As a temp fix for the sleep-freeze problem, I've just disabled sleep mode, and as for the other ones, well they aren't that annoying, nothing a reboot doesn't fix.

Fallout 3 is such a great game... I've spent about 25 hours on it already, but I think I'm done with it for now, since I've finished the game. It's just great to explore and has so many options, but the main plot will still be the same if I start again.

I'm also working on GMing a play test game for my RPG demo, which takes up some time. I know I'm not the best GM, but I'm going to try to make some interesting stories to play. It's kinda difficult in a game where there is no orc hoards/zombie hoards/robot hoards/mutant hoards. Since I want realism to be an aspect of the game, the hack n' slash adventure available in other games isn't quite feasible. It's still an action oriented game, but its not like the protagonists can slay dozens of enemies in a game, since they will likely be "real" people, and cops could potentially be involved in ways much more significant that in other RPG games. This could be solved by running a military squad campaign, but I don't want to do that, I want it urban, so the slaying will have to stay to a minimum.

Anyway, it's amazing how full life can seem even when you are not employed or going to school. :) Too bad the Federation doesn't just give me money... :)

No comments: