Thursday, January 29, 2009

Rehabilitation

I'm finally approaching full rehabilitation regarding living in Canada again. I jumped through the bureaucratic rings involved with getting a drivers license, health card, bank card, new bank accounts, gym membership, and applying to law school. On top of that, I'm used to the cold again.

I really hope I get into law school, but I give it a 50/50. I got a 159 on the LSAT, which is pretty good (75th percentile), but not outstanding by any measure. I should have studied more than the three of practice tests I wrote (story of my life). If I had decent grades in my BA I would be in for sure, but they were not so decent, so we will see. For borderline applicants like me they often go on a first apply first get in preference, and applications started being handed a couple of months ago. If I don't get in, I will work on getting into an MA program for philosophy.

I went to the gym for the first time since I left Korea, and it feels great to exercise again. It's called World Gym, and has amazing facilities (steam room, free classes of every type you could imagine, lots of space so its never busy, high tech machines). Of course I'm stiff today, but it's a good feeling. Better than lazy muscle ache.

I was disappointed to find out that the new imac won't be out for quite some time according to most sources, so its PC for me. I'm still excited, I just get more anxiety from PC purchases, for me they have been unpredictable. Nevertheless, my new speed demon PC makes me feel like is Christmas as I await for the parts to arrive in the mail. I decided not to go with an i7 processor because DDR3 RAM is still expensive and there isn't a great selection of motherboards for them. So, here is my new build on the advice of this website (plus I added 4 more GB of RAM):

http://www.custompcguide.com/mid-range.html

Total cost? 2,300 bucks once shipping costs and taxes are included. I expect them to arrive some time next week.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks like a sweet setup. I don't really know anything about the graphics card - but expect it will do everything you need it to do.

I know what you mean about the i7 and ddr3 - pricey, and is it really worth it? I have some time to think about what I'll do, but I may just go for it (I'll treat myself for finishing school).

Why is you computer costing more than the listed price? Shipping and OS? I think I am just going to run a pirated copy of Vista Ultimate. When Windows 7 is released I may consider purchasing a copy.

That 24" monitor is going to be awesome.

Well, I hope you get into law school ... good luck.

plutocracy said...

The prices listed on the site are in American dollars, and the shipping and taxes added another 200 or so. I found the cheapest prices online from NCIX, Newegg, and DirectCanada. I got my processor and keyboard/mouse today! Now just waiting on the rest.

Reed said...

I downloaded Windows7 beta the other day. Still have to put it on my system though, just havent gotten around to making room on my HD. Maybe I should just get another HD.

Unknown said...

You'll have to let us know what you think of Windows7. It has sure been getting a lot of positive hype, basically I've heard it is like Vista but less demanding on the system. That would be good - although I think they should probably have released it as SP3 or something, but the accountants at Microsoft thought it would be better for bottom line to release another OS.

I would give it a try, but I have a feeling I would screw things up on my computer. Maybe ... we'll see, I'll get ambitious and give it a try, and perhaps learn something about installing an OS.